Monday, March 05, 2012

Two Wheel Round Up

via Chicks & Bikes
Been a little while since I've done a round up post. I wish I were better at saving interesting bicycle news stuff to share. Most of it is being shared in real-time on Google+ these and you are welcome to find me there,

First up, a new MIPS (Multi-directional impact protection system) helmet design aims to direct impact force around your head instead of through it.

Cyclelicious has a great set of photos from this weekend's North American Handmade Bike Show in Sacramento. The bling is really impressive and there's plenty to gawk at and wish for! Rock Lobster also has a preview of the builds he is taken/took.

Mark your calendars! The Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival is coming up soon! April 14-15 in Aptos, California. It is gonna be epic!

Part of the preparations for the festival include shutting down the pump track which my family has gotten quite accustomed to riding on a many times a week basis. The pump track will be renovated for the festival which has left us wondering where to get our pump on. We haven't been yet but the Manzanita Park BMX track in Prunedale is gonna get a visit soon!

I am, officially, training for the Avia Wildflower Mountain Bike Triathlon in May. It is a 1/4 mile swim, 9.7 mile bike ride and a 2 mile run. Not a massively tough triathlon but it'll be fun and it'll be a good time with the family! But I know what to expect, have a great tri wetsuit and will train properly to put in a substantially improved time over my first time out.

Dynamo lights on bikes are a great idea in concept, a wheel touches your revolving wheel to steal a little kinetic energy to power a light to make you easier to see or easier for you to see. But that wheel rubbing against your tire slows you down just a little bit, maybe not enough to be bothersome but enough for someone like me that wants as much forward movement as possible from my rotational movement. Now there's a new kind of dynamo called the Magnic light that powers a light without actually touching the wheel. It uses something called eddy currents to power a light without stealing power from the rotating wheel. It may not be perfect but it's a step in perfect's direction. Isn't science just totally bitchin'? Yeah, I think so too!

I've long been a reader of the Rock Lobster frame building blog. And this might be one of the oddest posts yet. Paul's very own Stella-matic. I'd have called it the WTFmobile but I didn't make it.

What apps do you use to track your rides? I'm always on the lookout for something better than the two that I use on a regular basis, Plus3 and Strava. I like Plus3 because my mileage is magically converted into donations to the IMBA through the generosity of Subaru. And I use Strava because I like the idea of competing against other cyclists on the same rides even if the app seems mostly geared towards roadies. But if you ride with something else and you really like it, let me know, I'd love to check it out!

That's about it for this go-round. Happy shredding!
blog comments powered by Disqus