Riffing off The Kneeslider's recent post, 10 Reasons Motorcycles are Better Than Cars, I thought I'd put together a quick list of some of the reasons why bikes beat cars.
1. You can fit 10 to 12 bicycles in the space needed for a single car.
2. Bicycles use no gas at all unless you count methane production from post-ride burritos.
3. Erg for erg, bicycles are far more efficient than cars. If a cyclist could convert gasoline to energy like a car then the cyclist would get more than 900 miles per gallon.
4. Bicycles can be taken apart and rebuilt at home with just a few specialized tools. Try that with a new BMW.
5. Bicycles cost less to purchase and less to maintain. You can buy a new bike for what you pay in insurance every year on a car, a pretty nice bike if you've got high premiums.
6. Bicyclists pose virtually no danger to other motorists on the road.
7. Bicycling is tremendous exercise. Riding on hilly roads/trails is very close to interval training which studies have shown is the most effective way to get in great shape.
8. Riding a bike means you are getting fresh air. On trails in the woods you are getting the freshest air possible.
9. In addition to great exercise, bicycling develops good coordination and balance.
10. Bicyclists are part of the environment rather than being boxed up inside a car with climate control, stereos and heated seats.
11. Commuting to work by bicycle can qualify you for tax credits.
12. Bicycles cause virtually no damage to the environment or the roadways.
13 Bicycling is fun and can be a great family activity.
What are some other reasons you for bicycles being better than cars?