Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Just Don't Get It

Many of the bikes featured in the Top 10 Bikes from the 2008 Cycle World International Motorcycle Show via Popular Mechanics are gorgeous and awesome and I'd love to have them. But not the Vertika Trykes Cruiser pictured here.

Trikes are the bastard offspring of a roadster car and a motorcycle and, like the offspring of two beautiful people can sometimes end up pretty fugly, the trike gets the worst of both. The open cockpit exposes the driver (I refuse to call a trike pilot a rider, sorry) to the elements but that big front end makes it worthless to commute on.

I am excepting the new breed of cool trikes like the Piaggio MP3 and its ilk. They are not much wider than a regular bike and deliver an impressive amount of additional traction and control that makes the trike configuration worthwhile.

But not these monstrosities. You might as well get a three wheel car because that's basically what it is.

I'll never understand trikes nor do I think I ever want to. The only reason I could see anyone wanting one is because they are physically incapable of riding a regular motorcycle. And even so, if I were in that position, I'd choose something alot less stupid looking than this Vertika. Sorry, designers, I know you worked hard on it but it is damned fugly.
blog comments powered by Disqus