Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Its Not the Flight, Its the Landing That Hurts

We got out for a good ride through lower Nisene Marks yesterday, withthe two dogs and later hooked up with a buddy and his dog too.

We also exploredsome tails that I'd never run before that were quite spectacular. Technical singletrack along the side of a hillwith sweeping dropoffs down to the creek below. Loads of fun and only partially sucky because I rammed a branch into my rear derailleur early on. It made my shifting a little wonky but workable.

After someloops and a good deal of sweating, we headed back out to the trailhead. Because we haven't gotten any rain in a few weeks, it was dusty and I was already parched. Distraction, tiredness and a root conspired to turn my ride into a short flight with an abrupt landing.

I was riding last in the group and had too much dust in my eyes so I couldn't see the root too well. And that was all she wrote, I went sailing over my bars which had suddenly turned sideways on me. My left shoulder and hip bore the brunt of the fall but I rolled through it and ended up back on my feet about five feet down the trail from where I started.

After a quick damage assessment, I straightened my bars out, tested my brakes and took off after my pals. Both bar end caps broke off so now I had two sharp holes pointing out front. My shoulder was abraded up a bit, my hip was purpling but I came through it pretty okay and happy as I've not wiped out in a good long while and figured I got off easy.

I'm fairly sore today but that was to be expected. A couple of Advil seems to do the trick. And I'll need to get some time fixing my bike back up again. But I'm looking forward to our next ride already!
blog comments powered by Disqus