Monday, December 06, 2004

My name is Jay - and I'm a Bike-a-Holic

I've crossed over to the dark side and bought my first road bike. Been doing alot of research over the past few months. Narrowed it down to a few bikes. Really loved the Orbea's. They are made in Spain, have a lifetime warranty, great customer service, have the most amazing paint jobs (not a single sticker or decal on the bike), and just damn sexy. The bike I wanted was their newest one called the Onix. Saw one over at Spin City a couple of weeks ago, but it was priced out of my reach. So I happened to stop by a local bike shop which I'd never been in before, Nimbus Bicycles. I had heard that they carried Orbea's too. After another bad experience at Bicycles Plus in Folsom, it was a nice change of pace to have someone actually say "hello" to you. Steve over at Nimbus Bicycles was great. He hooked me up with an amazing deal on a 2005 Onix with full Ultegra group. He knocked the price down to a deal I could not pass up! So without even test riding I bought it on the spot. It's pretty much set up exactly the way I want it. All I had to do was adjust the seat height, install my pedals and I was ready to roll.

Took it out for a quick spin on Saturday afternoon. All I can say is "WOW". What an amazing ride. It's fast, nimble, smooth and very comfortable. I'm just stoked to be able to head out of my garage and go for a ride without having to load up all my gear and mountain bike and drive 30 minutes to Auburn. I still love mountain biking, but I just don't have the time to do it as often as I like. So this will be a fun experience. I'm looking forward to heading out into the country and Sierra Foothills. It's amazing how much ground you can cover in a short amount of time.

Back to Bicycles Plus in Folsom. I've been in this shop probably 6 times over the past couple of years. Not once in those 6 times has anyone said "hello" or "can I help you". Sometimes you don't want any help, and just want to browse. But generally I at least like to be greeted when I walk in the door. I've talked to others who've had similar experiences with that shop. So they didn't get my business and probably wont get any in the future either.
blog comments powered by Disqus