Friday, June 05, 2009

Santa Clara County sheriff's deputy who killed cyclists demoted - San Jose Mercury News

Santa Clara County sheriff's deputy who killed cyclists demoted to technician.

What's the message being sent here? He fell asleep at the wheel, ran over two cyclists and killed them and he is merely demoted for it? What would happen to me if I'd done the same thing? I can damn well tell you that I wouldn't be walking free, I'd be in jail pending trial.

That he has publicly stated his deep remorse at what happened is a good thing, it shows a little bit of what his character is. But he is responsible for killing two people who were merely riding their bikes.

He still faces sentencing for two charges of vehicular manslaughter but they are misdemeanor charges and unlikely to land him in jail.

I'm sorry but this feels like an incredibly light slap on the wrist for his actions that resulted in two cyclist's deaths.

There are accidents where "I'm sorry" really just doesn't even being to cut it. This is definitely one of those times.
blog comments powered by Disqus